Wednesday 12 November 2014

3M Indoor Window Insulator Kit, 5-Window

I've used this 3M Indoor Window Insulator Kit, 5-Window product for over 12 years. You need to clean the surface with an alcohol swab before applying the tape, letting it dry thoroughly first. Desperate to try and save a few bucks on my electric bill I thought I should at least give this product a try. I had no problem hanging the plastic. The double sided tape and plastic were very forgiving.
Keep #winter drafts out and warm air in with #3M #window insulator kits
The difference really is in the tape. It has the right amount of sticking power. You won't have to continuous apply pressure for it to stick, which is what I have experienced with many other brands. Also, the plastic is stronger than many others. I love this product.
It works! I did have a smooth surface available around each window which does help the tape adhere, might be a consideration if you have heavily textured walls. Great product. Room feels warmer and my breezes are blocked. Clean the sill/casing with rubbing alcohol to remove oils/dirt. Cut the plastic film to the width you need. Apply tape. Stick on film. Blow dry out the wrinkles.

  • Included: (1) 5.16' x 17.5' film sheet, (2) rolls of tape, 1/2" x 27.7 yd
  • Insulates five 3' x 5' windows
  • Lowers heating costs and saves energy
  • Applies easily, shrinking tight, wrinkle-free and clear on glass
  • Increasing the R-value of single pane window by 90%
I purchased the 3M Indoor Window Insulator Kit, 5-Window because my windows are large. The oversized kit has enough material to cover 3 of my large windows. As for performance of the insulator, I am amazed. It has only been up for one night and my daughter's room is noticeably warmer. I'm not sure how much I will save on the gas bill, but the room is so much more comfortable now!

Some problems I've run into:
  • 1) The tape is no longer sticky. If it's not sticking to the frame well, first clean the frame well (alcohol) and make sure it is totally dry before trying again. Then - the tape might be old or bad (I've had this) - send it back and try again.
  • 2) Ignore the "fits so-many windows". Windows vary in size. Measure yours - be sure to add at least 6 inches in each direction, and figure out what size sheets work best.
  • 3) Window trim. Figuring out where to put the tape can be difficult. Not sure how to express this, but if the plastic is pulling away from the tape at a 90-degree angle, it wont work as well.
  • 4) cats. If I dont get the wrinkles out, it will catch their eye and make it more likely they'll jump at it and claw it (doesNOT hold up to cat claws!).
PLEASE NOTE: The material is very thin. While blow drying the plastic I noticed the film wrinkling oddly. So learn from my mistake and treat the plastic film like a vegetable bag at the grocery store...rub it till it opens.

First, make sure the double-sided tape is securely stuck to the window frame, and then be sure to peel back the top protecting part of the tape to expose the 2nd sticky side of the tape. Then, apply the plastic first to one of the top corners of the window, let the plastic drape down to cover the window, and then use scissors to cut the extra plastic off around the edge of the window frame. If you allow about an inch of overlap all around the window, it will be easier to get the plastic stuck securely to the sticky tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment